Saturday, October 24, 2009

Haneef: A Question of Character book launch

My book was launched on October 20, 2009 in Brisbane by ABC journalist Rafael Epstein. Rafael generously gave of his time to travel to Brisbane and speak at the event. More than 100 people gathered to hear Griffith University PVC Arts, Education and Law Paul Mazerrole set the scene at the launch with his discussion of the big issues raised by the Haneef case and my book Haneef: A Question of Character, including the legal issues, human and civil rights. Then it was my turn - and looking at the assembled cast and crew was like being at a big family reunion. Familiar faces from the amazing journey I've been on since the story of Dr Haneef's arrest broke in the media on July 3, 2007. I couldn't resist throwing out the invitation to any AFP officers who might have joined us at the launch, to remind former AFP Commissioner Mr Mick Keelty that he still owes me an interview. Let me explain. At a function in 2008 Mr Keelty promised he would undertake an interview with me for Haneef: A Question of Character once the Clarke Inquiry was finished. As I said on Ocotber 20 at the launch, I'm still waiting for that interview - there's room for it in the second print run! Rafael talked about how the case unfolded in the UK and what led him to the story that revealed the true location of Dr Haneef's SIM card. I signed dozens of copies of my book, but what was most gratifying was seeing the members of my 'big family' thoroughly enjoying themselves. I thank my 'big family' for their support and help during the past two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment